Wednesday, January 7, 2015

2014 - Big changes and a Time for Healing

I can't believe one year has passed since I experienced major heart attacks and open heart surgery.  I brought in the New Year of 2014 with a quad by-pass which still seems so very surreal to me.  Since that infamous day, I have learned much about my heart, health, welfare...and survival.  I am officially in the 7% of women survivors and I am ever so thankful.  Angels were certainly watching over me so I could continue to be here on this earth to take care of myself and others.  I don't really want to dwell on this subject too much but before I stop I would just like to pass on the word about women and heart attacks.  Only 7 % survive at-home heart attacks because most women don't even know they are having one!  I didn't know.  I felt fine other than I was having back pain between my shoulder blades.  If I hadn't called the doc and then 911 I might not be here today.  Also, I had decided to take some baby aspirins for the pain in my back and that also helped to keep me a survivor.  So to all you women out there - please be alert - take care of yourself and your stress - and always have baby aspirin on hand.

2014 was devoted to healing and learning and starting over.
I have learned how to use a walker, an adjustable bed, climb, get down on the floor and get up again, ride an exercise bike, do fine motor therapy, and occupational therapy on my own as well as many other things.  I have even learned how to cook heart smart.  Here is an example of that:

Penne Avocado:  Mash two avocados with two garlic cloves and lemon juice.  Salt and pepper to taste.  [I add minced jalapenos, onions, leeks, and red chili flakes]  Heat over medium heat.  Boil noodles to al dente.  Drizzle about 2 T. olive oil over drained noodles.  Pour sauce over multi grain noodles. Garnish with cherry tomatoes and cilantro.  Enjoy.
A dollop of this sauce on a turkey or vegie burger is great too!

I will try to get a few pics up later today of some of the little highlight moments of 2014. 


   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog today! I hope you will come back again soon!