Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Visual Journaling

I believe it was sometime in 2003 that I started to read the book "Visual Journaling" It didn't take long before I was totally hooked on it. The below images were created from two of the meditation exercises from the book. The idea of the exercise was to quiet the mind through meditation and allow images to appear through the minds eye. Then the instructions are to draw, color, paint, or even write about those images.

This was from my first experience in creative meditation. I had a large sketch book and pencil ready so I tried to sketch the images. I really wish I could have achieved the complete contrast from dark to brilliant light but I just couldn't in paper and pencil. I might be able to with Photoshop someday.

This was created by using the same type of exercise as above only an intent was added before meditation. I think this was the first time I had ever used oil pastels and for one reason or another I was guided to apply the color and then push. It was such an amazing and exhilarating experience that I designed a workshop called pushing pastels.

3 comments:

  1. These are wonderful Joan! I'm going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic. Interesting exploration of dark to light! And a quick glimpse of movement and action in pastels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, Joan... Do you happen to know the author of the book?

    Hugs,
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog today! I hope you will come back again soon!